The Best of 2011 - Music, Books, TV & Movies

Two-Thousand and Eleven has been an absolutely awesome year in entertainment. I've discovered so many new great TV shows and I've been slowly working my way through my hugh reading pile. Most of all, I'd like to see a major catch-up of the best in music from this year but overall it's been a great year. Thank you 2011 for being a delight!

The Best Books Read in 2011
1. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
2. Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater
3.Across the Universe by Beth Revis
4. Divergent by Veronica Roth
5. Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Why? For anyone out there who has still not read The Hunger Games, you do not know what you're missing out on. It's the number one book I'd recommend to non-readers and I can't believe it's taken me this long to finally pay attention to all the recommendations I received for this title. I'm more keen than ever to finally see the movie in just a few months time. Are you ready for the mania?

A close second is The Wolves of Mercy Falls series which was utterly captivating and I almost want to go back and read those books right now. I fell in love with the characters and I even got the chance at meeting the author a couple months ago, woohoo! 

It seems like this is the year of dystopia, not only for me but for many others too. There have just been so many great books in this genre released lately and I can't wait to check out more. For a faithful fan of contemporary, it's a really great juxtapose for when I'm feeling edgy!

The Best Albums of 2011
1. I Am The Avalanche - Avalanche United
2. City and Colour - Little Hell
3. Bayside - Killing Time
4. Adele - 21
5. Manchester Orchestra - Simple Math

Why? It seems like I've been anticipating the new IATA record for years and now that it's finally hear, I couldn't be more happier. It's everything I expected and more. 

We also have one album that doesn't really seem to fit in with the others... Adele. From being entirely captivated with her voice from first listen to never being able to escape her misery on the airways, this lady has totally won me over in the best of ways. To say Australia is keenly awaiting a tour is a major understatement!

Unfortunately, I'm still catching up on many more highly anticipated albums most notably Neighbours by Blink-182 so hopefully they'll be jumping up my ipod playlist rather soon.

The Best Songs of 2011
1. Ed Sheeran - The A Team
2. I Am The Avalanche - Brooklyn Dodgers
3. Manchester Orchestra - Simple Math
4. Jessica Lea Mayfield - Our Hearts Are Wrong
5. City and Colour - Fragile Bird

Why? I haven't really been listening to as much music these days and it's probably due to all the time I spent reading this year. I'm a little bit ashamed to say my favourite song of the year was discovered on radio which is very unusual for me and thanks to the constant on-air time this song received, I've been able to hear it just as much as I'd like to.

A little bit out of the ordinary for me, is Jessica Lea Mayfield's Our Hearts Are Wrong which was actually first heard on one of my favourite tv shows for this year. It took me a little bit to get used to the uniqueness of the song but it's now more than regularly played on my ipod.

The Best Movies of 2011
1. Crazy, Stupid, Love
2. The Help
3. Source Code
4. Horrible Bosses
5. Super 8

Why? I saw so many movies this year, probably more than I ever have before and all due to the wonderful movie madness challenge. Unfortunately not many of those films had an official release date of 2011 so they weren't included on this list but I can say Crazy, Stupid, Love was awesome. I can't wait to re-watch this one and see if it's just as a good the second time around.

Also starring Emma Stone, is another favourite The Help which took me totally by surprise but more than anything Horrible Bosses brought the laughs.

The Best TV Shows of 2011
1. Parenthood
2. Once Upon A Time
3. The Secret Circle
4. Modern Family
5. Slide

Why? I can clearly remember spending many nights staying up late just to catch the latest episode of Parenthood so it is easily awarded my favourite of the year. It may be a tiny bit daggy but reminds me of a nice mix between Brothers & Sisters VS. 7th Heaven. I'm pretty confident I never would've looked twice at this show if it weren't for the awesome Lauren Graham and her starring role.

I also must make note of the many fall tv premieres I fell in love with this year, they have provided me with hours of entertainment and I can't believe I've never come across this phenomenon previously.

Q: What Are Your Highlights In Entertainment for 2011?

©2012 Design by Katelyn Brooke Designs